History

History of the Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the
Dormition Of the Blessed Mother of God (1959-2009)  

  • 1956 - Parish obtains land to build on

    In 1956, through the efforts of Bishop Andrew Roborecki, the parishioners obtained a two lot site at 105th Street and Moran Avenue, which was owned by Mr. John Muzyka, who then generously donated this land to start the new Parish...

  • 1959 - Church opens

    In 1959 The Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God became the third Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Saskatoon.

  • 1971 - Blessing of the Church site

    The blessing of the church site and the official sod turning ceremony took place on May 16, 1971 with Bishop Andrew Roborecki officiating. Initial construction costs of the church totaled approximately $65,000, which was funded by a Loan from...

  • 1972 - Blessing of the cornerstone and church cross

    Sunday May 27, 1972 was a day of joyous celebration by the parishioners and members of neigh-boring Saskatoon parishes as Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the cornerstone and the church cross which was installed at the summit...

  • 1977 - Parish commissioned Mr. Theodore Baran to write the main Icon “Assumption of the Holy Mother of God”

    In 1977 the Parish commissioned Mr. Theodore Baran to write the main Icon “Assumption of the Holy Mother of God” located in the sanctuary, and supported on either side by a Nativity Icon and Annunciation Icon...

  • 1971-1979 - Struggle and fundraising

    During the period 1971 to 1979 with ever rising interest rates reaching over 20%, the Parish struggled financially and was busy with fundraising to pay off the loans on the building. Two to three Fund Raising Dance Socials...

  • 1984 - 25th Anniversary

    In 1984 our Parish celebrated its 25th Anniversary with our Pastor Fr. Leonard J. Romanow. This was the year we also welcomed His Excellency Bishop Basil Filevich to our Eparchy. Bishop Basil was always very supportive of our Parish...

  • 1985 - St. Volodymyr Villa Eparchial Millennium Project

    In 1985 we had in a very successful campaign in our Parish to raise funds for the St. Volodymyr Villa Eparchial Millennium Project. In 1988 we completed the installation of the two Domes on the roof of the Church which gave...

  • 1990-1995 - Installation of a large Eastern Style Chandelier along with 6 smaller ones

    During the period 1990 to 1995 under our Pastor Fr. John Kratko, the parish installed a large Eastern Style Chandelier along with 6 smaller ones. These were imported directly from Greece and needed some re-wiring by an Electrical Contractor to meet the...

  • 1992 - Committee was struck to commence plans to build an Iconastas

    In 1992 a committee was struck to commence plans to build an Iconastas. This committee visited a number of churches and looked at various styles and options. The final choice was to build one primarily of tempered glass anchored on sold wooden...

  • 1993 - Funds for rectory raised

    In 1993 the Parish was growing nicely and in need of its own Rectory. A campaign was organized and within a few months a total sum of $78,000 was raised, again primarily through a very substantial and generous donation of $50,000...

  • 1997 - The Parish continued planning additional Icons on the side walls of the Church

    Following the successful completion of the Iconastas in 1993, the Parish continued planning additional Icons on the side walls of the Church. Along with Fr. Kratko and the committee, Terry Zinkowski...

  • 1999 - 40th Anniversary

    Our 40th Anniversary (1959-1999) was held on Sunday October 3, 1999 starting with a Devine Liturgy at 4:00pm. Father Anthony Pawliuk gave the welcoming address and Father Mitrat Vladimir Mudri was our guest speaker at the Banquet which was catered by Touch of Ukraine. A total of 91 people attended with guests from St. Georges, Sts Peter & Paul, Mission Parishes and Knights of Columbus Sheptysky Council.

  • 2009 - 50th Anniversary

    Our Parish has reached a milestone celebrating our 50th Anniversary on October 9 & 10, 2009.